Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Class posts - Parables

Parables

My Definition: A parable is a story that contains a deeper truth than is easily apparent in the simple story. Parables are effective because the listener understands the story at their own level. Someone who isn't religious at all may only see the simple face value story, while a gospel scholar might see a deep valuable essential piece of gospel truth.
  1. What describes the future growth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? 
    • Matthew 13: 47-50 - Gospel Net
  2. Why does the Church send out so many missionaries? 
    • Matthew 13: 47-50 - Gospel Net
  3. How do you explain the remarkable growth of the Church, considering that it is fairly new compared to most world religions and started small in the American frontier? 
    • Matthew 13: 31-33 - Mustard Seed
  4. Why are some members of the Church willing to sacrifice so much worldly wealth and recognition in order to maintain membership in the Church? 
    • Matthew 13: 44-46 - Treasure and pearl of great price
  5. Why do some Church members choose to leave the Church?
    • Matthew 13: 24-30 - Tares
Considering the parables of the treasure and the pearl of great price (see Matthew 13:44–46), what sacrifices would you be willing to make to obtain the treasure of the gospel? What sacrifices have you or those you know already made for the gospel?
I am willing to sacrifice and do sacrifice my time and tithing, my talents, as well as the "natural man" desires I have. I know people who have sacrificed their relationship with their family for the gospel, and I feel lucky that I haven't had to make sacrifices like that. For me, my sacrifice was more in the effort it took to gain my testimony. I once knew without a doubt, and then had a crisis of faith and had to start back at ground zero to determine what I actually believed. Each little nugget I gain a testimony of again by studying and prayer is a blessing in my life. 
What does the net represent in the parable of the net cast into the sea? (See Matthew 13:47). What does it mean to be gathered into the net? What is represented by the action of gathering the good into vessels and casting the bad away? (See Matthew 13:48–50).

The net is the kingdom of heaven and the gathering of the good into the vessels and casting the bad away is talking about the last days and the final judgment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment