Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Samaritan Woman at the Well

Blog post two
(Another post for my New Testament class)
Today I am studying about the Samaritan Woman at the well. The bible dictionary teaches us that Samaritans weren't liked by the Jews because they were part Israelite and part gentile and their religion was also mixed. " though they claimed, as worshippers of Jehovah, to have a share in the rebuilding of the temple at Jerusalem. This claim not being allowed, they became, as the books of Ezra and Nehemiah show, bitter opponents of the Jews, and started a rival temple of their own on Mount Gerizim." This feud caused problems and discontent between both parties. They usually avoided talking to each other if they could, yet Jesus asked the Samaritan woman for water, which was a huge shock for her.
Yet, I love this about the savior. He is fair. He loves all of us and every human soul will be treated equally. We will all be held accountable for our sins. We will all be welcome into God's kingdom if we come unto the Savior and allow his atonement to cleanse our souls.
Because of the issues between the Jews and the Samaritans, it would have been hard for the disciples to go and preach to the Samaritans later had they not already seen the Savior talking to this Samaritan women.
 The Savior speaks of Living Water. When he talks about living water, he is referring to the joy that the Gospel brings into our lives.
1. What words and phrases in John 4:9-30 indicate that the woman's' attitude toward Jesus Christ changed?
a. I think one of the things that changed her attitude was the discussion of the living water and how after drinking of it, she would never thirst again.
b. I think when Jesus called her out on her husband situation it also made a huge difference in her attitude change. She realized there was something special about him because he knew things about her that he simply shouldn't have known.
c. I think those two things shifted her opinion enough that she could accept that he was Jesus Christ, the Savior.
2. What did she finally come to understand about Jesus Christ?
a. She finally came to understand that Jesus Christ was the Savior.
3. What caused the woman's attitude toward Jesus Christ to change?
a. (See number 1)
4. What did she do after she understood who he really was? What was the result?
a. She went to the village and told them Men who was at the well and sent them to him. The result was that they came to know and believe that he was the Savior as well.
5. How has your testimony of Jesus Christ progressed over the years as you have come to know him better? What has caused your testimony to deepen? What responsibility do you have because of what you know about the Savior?
a. I have come to rely on the Savior in a way I never thought possible over the last 3 years since becoming divorced. I have learned that he is the rock that will never abandon me. I have learned that his atonement can help me avoid sin as well as cleanse my soul when I do sin. His atonement can heal my broken heart as well as the hearts of my children. Knowing this means that I have a responsibility to teach my children about his grace and mercy as well as the people around me.
6. What was the effect on the community of the woman's encounter with Jesus (John 4 :39-41)
a. They asked him to stay and he did for 2 days and he taught them and afterwards they knew also that he was the Savior. They were converted to his gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment