Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Son that was Lost

So there I am at church, It has been a LONG sacrament meeting. The twins have been running at top speed the whole time. This week was the primary program and it was wonderful, but went pretty far over time. So the meeting ends and the lady sitting at the end of the row asks if she can let Lexi out into the isle when it looks like I am about ready to take her and Lincoln down to Nursery. I say sure and as I am about to walk out after her, the lady in front of me starts talking to me. I am trying to be polite and answer her question while at the same time making sure to keep Lexi in sight. The result is me looking like I am watching a tennis match on fast forward. Finally Lexi exits the Chapel, into the hall and I realize my conversation needs to be terminated yesterday. I ask my mom to finish answering her question for me and I race out after Lexi, weaving in and out of people, elbowing old ladies in the way. I get out into the hall and I realize that I see Lexi, but I can't find Lincoln. I turn around and look back in the pew to see if maybe he is still in our row with Grandma, but he isn't there. I don't see his little blonde head bobbing up and down between me and grandma either.....I race back to the hall and search diligently for him there too, while still trying to keep Lexi in my sights. I make it as far as the hall that breaks off the main foyer and he isn't down that hall either, he isn't on the stairs, he isn't by the drinking fountain, as far as I can tell, the boy simply vanished. I turn around and in a moment of pure tender mercy, I see Ben Murry sitting near the door to the chapel and I realize that he has been there for a while....I hurry to within shouting distance and call out, "Ben! Did you see Lincoln come out?" and he looks down at lexi a few people away and asks, "Did you mean Lexi?" I am feeling exasperated by this time, "No, I mean Lincoln. I know where Lexi is, but I can't find Lincoln.....did you see him?"


Well, Apparently I was holding him. The whole time. Yup. I am clearly that awesome. Poor guy. I just was so focused on not losing Lexi that I wasn't thinking straight, and then I thought the weight of him was the bag I was carrying I guess. I am sure that the fact that I have averaged 4-5 hours of sleep per night this week has NOTHING to do with it. Is it bedtime yet?

3 comments:

  1. Haa.That is funny! I'm glad that they both were safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome. And you probably do need some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny! You can't hear that story and not smile! Thanks so much for sharing. And I'm glad both your kiddos are safe and sound :)

    ReplyDelete